- 1 What is the definition of brethren?
- 2 What do the Brethren believe in?
- 3 Can brethren be used for females?
- 4 What is the female version of Brethren?
- 5 What is the difference between brothers and brethren?
- 6 How do you use brethren?
- 7 Do brethren watch TV?
- 8 Do brethren believe in Christmas?
- 9 Do the brethren drink alcohol?
- 10 What is the feminine of sister?
- 11 How do you use brethren in a sentence?
- 12 What is the plural of sister?
- 13 Did Jesus have a brother or sister?
- 14 What does Bredrin mean in Jamaica?
What is the definition of brethren?
(Entry 1 of 2) plural of brother. —used chiefly in formal or solemn address or in referring to the members of a profession, society, or religious denomination our church brethren.
What do the Brethren believe in?
Brethren espouse the basic beliefs of Christianity, such as the divinity of Christ. They emphasize peace, simplicity, the equality of believers, and consistent obedience to Christ.
Can brethren be used for females?
The way it’s used today the term is gender neutral. When I hear it, it is meant to include men and women. I agree; “brethren” is often used to mean “brothers and sisters.”
What is the female version of Brethren?
In modern times, some people have revived the use of the word ‘sistren’ as a feminine equivalent of ‘brethren‘. It’s usually meant tongue-in-cheek or light-heartedly; ironically, the two groups that might use the expression ‘sistren’ in all seriousness are evangelical Christians and radical feminists.
What is the difference between brothers and brethren?
The plural of brother as in “male sibling” is always brothers. The origin of brethren is an old type of plural for brother, but it is no longer used in that sense. Nowadays, it is only ever used in the context of fraternal or religious organizations: you can be a member of the brethren, but you don’t have brethren.
How do you use brethren?
brethren in a sentence
- Deion Sanders is not doing his brethren any favors, either.
- The help of any Muslim brethren will obviously not be refused.
- I’ll take care of my brethren in the media.
- Osvaldo and his brethren evoke both gratitude and contempt among illegals.
- “How Long Brethren? ” is monumentally spare.
Do brethren watch TV?
Things Exclusive Brethren can’t do
Do brethren believe in Christmas?
Traditionally, many Brethren groups did not celebrate Christmas or Easter, arguing that there is no Biblical command to do so. There are still some assemblies that take this stance, but many Brethren churches today do celebrate these festivals, and sometimes use them as an occasion to evangelize in the community.
Do the brethren drink alcohol?
Brethren members can drink alcohol at home, but being visibly drunk is frowned on and smoking and gambling are forbidden.
What is the feminine of sister?
/ˈsɪstər/ a girl or woman who has the same parents as another person. sœur [ feminine ] I have a sister and two brothers. J’ai une sœur et deux frères. 6 дней назад
How do you use brethren in a sentence?
- Those of our brethren were now at rest.
- We must support our weaker brethren.
- The Brethren meet regularly for prayer.
- Let us pray, brethren.
- Their brethren had fled screaming from the battlefield.
- Terry jabbered with her brethren, asking for jobs.
- Both parents were committed members of the Plymouth Brethren.
What is the plural of sister?
1 sister /ˈsɪstɚ/ noun. plural sisters. 1 sister. /ˈsɪstɚ/ plural sisters.
Did Jesus have a brother or sister?
The New Testament describes James, Joseph (Joses), Judas (Jude), and Simon as brothers of Jesus (Greek: ἀδελφοὶ, romanized: adelphoi, lit. ‘brothers‘). Also mentioned, but not named, are sisters of Jesus.
What does Bredrin mean in Jamaica?
Spelling Variations: bredrin,
Slang for anyone who is a friend or colleague.