- 1 Who says God helps them that help themselves?
- 2 What does the Bible say about helping those who don’t help themselves?
- 3 What does God say about taking care of yourself?
- 4 What does God say about helping those in need?
- 5 Does God help those who don’t help themselves?
- 6 Does God help those who help others?
- 7 What does the Bible say about giving money to beggars?
- 8 What does the Bible say about compassion for others?
- 9 What does the Bible say about helping a lazy person?
- 10 What are some self-care ideas?
- 11 What are examples of self-care?
- 12 What does the Bible say about working?
- 13 What does the Bible say about being too generous?
- 14 What did Jesus say about helping strangers?
- 15 What is the golden rule in the Bible?
Who says God helps them that help themselves?
The first recording of the phrase exactly as we know and use it today is credited to the English politician Algernon Sidney in his Discourses Concerning Government. It was popularized by Benjamin Franklin, who used it in his Poor Richard’s Almanac (also written as Poor Richard’s Almanack).
What does the Bible say about helping those who don’t help themselves?
Originally Answered: What does the Bible say about helping those who won’t help themselves? The Bible says, “if any would not work, neither should he eat” (2 Thessalonians 3:10). This does not say if a person can’t work, but that he or she will not work.
What does God say about taking care of yourself?
No, the Bible does not tell us, in so many words, to practice self-care. But taking care of yourself is assumed, a given. The Bible says to “love your neighbor as you love yourself” (Mark 12:31 NIV). But it is a given that we will take care of ourselves, that we do treat ourselves with love and consideration.
What does God say about helping those in need?
“Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward them for what they have done.”
Does God help those who don’t help themselves?
Christian minister Erwin Lutzer argues there is some support for this saying in the Bible (2 Thessalonians 3:10, James 4:8); however, much more often God helps those who cannot help themselves, which is what grace is about (the parable of the Pharisee and the Publican, Ephesians 2:4–5, Romans 4:4–5).
Does God help those who help others?
“Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will reward them for what they have done.” The Good News: In many ways, the mere act of being charitable is its own reward. But as this verse notes, being compassionate to people who are less fortunate is also something that God will reward.
What does the Bible say about giving money to beggars?
As we turn to the Bible for wisdom and discretion, let’s meditate on this piece of encouragement: Don’t close off your heart when you’re in the situation of being asked to give to beggars. “Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you” (Matthew 7:12). Keep your heart soft, and open to the Holy Spirit.
What does the Bible say about compassion for others?
Even in darkness light dawns for the upright, for those who are gracious and compassionate and righteous. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as Christ God forgave you. — Ephesians 4:32. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.
What does the Bible say about helping a lazy person?
Proverbs 13:4 – “The soul of the lazy man desires, and has nothing; but the soul of the diligent shall be made rich.” The lazy man desires what hard working people want: house, food, vacations, money for college and retirement. But the lazy man’s desires remain unsatisfied, while the diligent gain wealth.
What are some self-care ideas?
- Give myself a pedicure or a manicure.
- Read a book or magazine for an hour.
- Sit on the front porch.
- Take a bubble bath—complete with candles and calming music.
- Pick or buy a bouquet of fresh flowers.
- Take a leisurely walk without a goal.
- Put on a homemade face mask.
What are examples of self-care?
- Develop a regular sleep routine.
- Aim for a healthy diet.
- Take lunch breaks.
- Go for a walk at lunchtime.
- Take your dog for a walk after work.
- Use your sick leave.
- Get some exercise before/after work regularly.
What does the Bible say about working?
Colossians 3:22 says, “You who are servants who are owned by someone, obey your owners. Work hard for them all the time, not just when they are watching you. Work for them as you would for the Lord because you honor God.” When we obey the authority figures in our life, we are ultimately serving Christ.
What does the Bible say about being too generous?
2 Corinthians 9:10-15
You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God. This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of the Lord’s people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God.
What did Jesus say about helping strangers?
Within the New Testament, which Christians read in continuity with the Hebrew Bible or “The Old Testament,” the most often cited passage dealing with welcoming the stranger is from Matthew 25: 31-40. “I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me.”
What is the golden rule in the Bible?
The “Golden Rule” of Leviticus 19:18 was quoted by Jesus of Nazareth (Matthew 7:12; see also Luke 6:31) during his Sermon on the Mount and described by him as the second great commandment. The common English phrasing is “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”.