- 1 What does Shama mean in Hebrew?
- 2 What is meant by Shema?
- 3 What is the Shema prayer in English?
- 4 What does Shema Israel mean in English?
- 5 Who is Shama in the Bible?
- 6 What does the word listen mean in Hebrew?
- 7 What is the importance of the Shema?
- 8 What does monotheism mean?
- 9 What is the prayer inside a mezuzah?
What does Shama mean in Hebrew?
The word in Hebrew for obedience is the word – shama. This word carries with it the meaning of hearing and obeying. Obedience is our only sure measure of successful listening.
What is meant by Shema?
Shema in American English
(ʃəˈmɑː, ʃmɑː) Judaism. a liturgical prayer, prominent in Jewish history and tradition, that is recited daily at the morning and evening services and expresses the Jewish people’s ardent faith in and love of God.
What is the Shema prayer in English?
The Shema expresses the essence of Judaism, that God must be loved and obeyed at all times. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might. Keep these words that I am commanding you today in your heart.
What does Shema Israel mean in English?
17. Shema Yisrael (Shema Israel or Sh’ma Yisrael; Hebrew: שְׁמַע יִשְׂרָאֵל; “Hear, O Israel“) is a Jewish prayer, and is also the first two words of a section of the Torah, and is the title (better known as The Shema) of a prayer that serves as a centerpiece of the morning and evening Jewish prayer services.
Who is Shama in the Bible?
Shammah is a name mentioned several times in the Hebrew Bible. In the Book of Samuel, Shammah (Hebrew: שַׁמָּה) was the son of Agee, a Hararite (2 Samuel 23:11) or Harodite (23:25), and one of King David’s three legendary “mighty men”. His greatest deed was the defeat of a troop of Philistines.
What does the word listen mean in Hebrew?
The most common word for to listen in Hebrew is לְהַקְשִׁיב. נ (a.z.n), the same root as the word for ear – אֹזֶן (OH-zen).
What is the importance of the Shema?
The Shema is regarded by many Jews as the most important prayer in Judaism. This is because it reminds them of the key principle of the faith – there is only one God. This is a monotheistic principle. This part of the Shema is taken from the Torah: Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is One.
What does monotheism mean?
Monotheism, belief in the existence of one god, or in the oneness of God.
What is the prayer inside a mezuzah?
The blessing said while hanging a mezuzah: Transliteration: Barukh atah Adonai, Elohaynu, melekh ha-olam, asher keedishanu b’meetzvotav v’tzeevanu leek’boa mezuzah. Translation: Blessed are you, Lord, our God, King of the universe, who has sanctified us with God’s commandments and commanded us to affix a mezuzah.